What kind of hosting can my charity have?
You'll receive our Solo shared hosting plan, plus we also throw in free LiteSpeed Cache - more on that later.
The Solo plan is loaded with features, it supports a single website, multiple sub domains - perfect for charity fundraising landing pages or micro sites - up to 10 email accounts, unlimited bandwidth, 5 MySQL databases and is also fully compatible with many commonly used web applications such as WordPress and Joomla.
We also throw in our LiteSpeed cache, usually a paid extra. This is an advanced server-side caching tool which makes web sites extremely fast. If your site uses a CMS such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla amongst others, you will be able to easily leverage this caching solution and turbo-charge your web site speed. We can help you configure this for free. For sites built on other applications, it's usually also possible to use our cache - just contact us and we can advise!
If you're just starting out, we also provide a free web site builder which you can use to easily create your site or additional landing pages with a simple drag-and-drop editor. The plan can support around 100,000 page views per month, and so is suitable for the majority of small charity web sites.
If you're a more established charity with a higher number of visitors to your site, multiple websites, lots of email users or disk space - we also provide heavy discounts on our range of advanced hosting solutions, including our performance business hosting plans, managed virtual servers, managed dedicated servers and complex managed hosting, capable of supporting millions of visitors per month. We'd love to help your charity ensure your web site is fast, stable and ensure you get the best possible value.
What are the eligibility requirements?
To ensure that we only provide hosting to genuine charities, you must be a registered UK charity currently listed on the
UK Charity Commission website.
We may also be able to accept requests from charities outside of the UK , providing that we can verify that your charity is officially registered in your country, and that this database exists online.
If your charity is not currently registered, you can find some guidance on the process of setting up a registered charity, as published by the UK Charity Commission.
At this time, our free charity hosting is provided to charities which meet our criteria outlined below. Acceptance onto the program is at our sole discretion.
Our preset criteria is as follows:-
- The charity deals with a range of work that appeals to us
- The charity has no ulterior motive - e.g. religious teachings or political leanings.
- The charity, or it's parent/affiliated charity or charities, appears to do some actual good and does not just hoard money or spend it frivolously.
- The charity, or it's parent/affiliated charity or charities, does not pay its staff an excessive level of remuneration.
We are additionally unable to accept Scout/Guide or similar movements, schools, nurseries, playgroups, parent teacher associations, booster clubs or any local branch or chapter of a larger organisation. Please see the FAQ below for more detailed information on these criteria.
Get started now!
If you're a qualifying charity, we'd love to host your web site. All that we ask in return is that:
- You transfer your domain to Kualo, or register a new one if you are just starting out. The bottom line is that you'll need to pay someone for a domain name. If we support your domain extension, this may as well be us - doing so helps us cover some nominal raw costs we incur in providing this service for free. What's more, we're very affordable for domains and you may even pay less with us than you pay another registrar.
- You help us to promote this initiative with a very small text link back to this page in your web site footer. In addition, we'd love any shout outs on social media or on your blog if you have one.
To get started, simply register for a client account and then get in touch and we'll start the onboarding process. If you have an existing web site hosted elsewhere, we can help you migrate it across free of charge.